BULGARI’S DISTINCT JEWELRY STYLE
Based in Rome, Bulgari has been creating renowned fine jewelry since 1884. It is today a global and diversified luxury brand with a product and service portfolio that encompasses jewels, watches, accessories, fragrances and other services of impeccable quality.
Descending from an ancient family of Greek silversmiths, Sotirios Bulgari, the company’s founder, manufactured precious silver objects. In the late 19th century, Sotirios moved to Italy and opened his first shop in Via Sistina , Rome, in 1884. Later in 1905, he inaugurated his second shop in Vfia Condotti helped by his two sons Constantino and Giorgio. This shop has remained Bulgari’s flagship store to the present day.
In the early 20th century, the Bulgri brothers developed great interest and expertise in precious stones, jewels and watches, gradually taking over the management of Bulgari establishments in Rome. The period immediately after the Second World War was a turning point in Bulgari’s history: Constantino and Giorgio decided to move away from the dominant disciplines of the ‘French goldsmith school’ and create a unique style inspired by Greco-Roman classicism, the Italian Renaissance and the Roman school of goldsmiths.
By the 1950’s, Bulgari’s innovative style had gained fame throughout the world, leading to the Company’s international expansion by opening in the 1970’s stores in New York, Geneva, Monte Carlo and Paris.
The launching of ‘Bvlgari/Bvlgari’ watch in 1977 proved a worldwide success story, considered an all-time classic. Bulgari time Neuchatel was established in 1982, a company with the sole task of creating the entirety of Bulgari’s watches. The 1980’s and 1990’s witnessed Bulgari’s diversification in the domains of textiles, primarily silk scarves, accessories, fragrances , leather goods, extending to the acquisition of hotels and resorts.
Bulgari celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2009 and, in recognition of its past achievements, on this commemorable occasion launched a major fund-raising project.
Bulgari’s Distinct Jewelry Style In various phases of our civilization, jewelry has been looked upon as a ‘status symbol’, an element of fashion, a craft and, in rare instances, a form of art. It is precisely as an art that Bulgari interprets jewelry, following an Italian tradition that originated in the 15th century. The craftsmen of the Italian Renaissance had developed a new approach to design, a humanist philosophy which placed the individual at the center of the universe the impact of which is to be seen in the oeuvres d’art of Renaissance painters The essence of jewelry design during the Renaissance was color, and the predominance and original use of color become the hallmark of the House of Bulgari.
With the emergence of Art Deco style around 1925 and the spread of the geometric and bold shapes of Art Deco jewels throughout the world , Bulgari followed the Houses of Cartier, Boucheron and Van Cleef & Arpels and in its turn introduced a new aesthetic into the art of jewelry: In place of the ‘French style’ diamond with its surround of other precious stones, Bulgari proposed a colored stone, set in hand crafted gold bezel in a frame of tapered baguette diamonds.